Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Killing Time

Don't you just hate it when you spend your time promoting something than doing the opposite? Yes, I know the term for that is hypocrisy, but that's a little extreme in this instance. You see, in the past I have extolled the virtues of running/jogging (for those of us who enjoy doing so) just for the sake of doing it, and not concerning ourselves with time, pace, or speed (unless, of course, you are training for a race). So what have I been doing since we moved to Florida?

You got it...I have been timing every run diligently, even pausing the stopwatch when I had to wait on a light. Monday I ran one of my short routes and was dismayed that my time was as slow as it was the first time I ran it. So yesterday I didn't run at all. Today, I did...sans watch. And it felt...liberating. It's amazing how much a little Timex strapped to the wrist can weight--psychologically speaking. Once again I jogged just for the sheer enjoyment of doing so...and, in so doing, I freed myself from the bonds of time. Isn't that what our escapes are supposed to do for us?

No comments:

Post a Comment